Saturday 4 September 2010

Fallen by Lauren Kate (Review) - Book #1 in reading challenge!


Summary:


Some Angels Are Destined To Fall

Instant. Intense. Weirdly familiar...

The moment Luce looks at Daniel she knows she has never felt like this before. Except she can't shake the feeling that she has...and with him - a boy she doesn't remember ever setting eyes on.

Will the attempt to find out why enlighten her - or destroy her?

I was really looking forward to reading Fallen but I'm sorry to say I was disappointed.

I think most of my disappointment stemmed from me not being able to help comparing it to Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick. Both books are about 'Fallen Angles' and after reading Hush, Hush; Fallen had a lot to live up to.

The main protagonist, Luce, didn't seem to connect with me. She was too dependant for my liking; for most of  the book the other characters had to tell her what was going on and the like when she could have figured out most of it herself. I know I did. I felt like shaking her and shouting 'wake up and smell the roses' or white peonies in Luce's case.

Luce only started to wake up in the last hundred pages or so and only when Penn - a mortal who had nothing to do with Fallen Angels and yet somehow still figured out more than Luce -gave her a book that Daniel happened to have written years ago.

Another reason I didn't like this book is because nothing happened. Most of the story was just blindingly following Luce trying (and failing) to figure things out and me thinking she's just plain stupid. It was only until the last hundred pages that things started to pick up and even then it was so predictable it became really anti-climatic.

What I did like about this book however, was that it set the scene nicely for it's sequel Torment which is set to be released on the 30th of September. Not all of the plot was revealed in Fallen so it will be interesting to see how Torment turns out. To be honest, it can't really get any worse.



My Rating : 4/10

Publisher: Doubleday

Author: Lauren Kate

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry, to hear you didn't like this one. Guess this also means I shouldn't pick this one up. I've never really like books about Angels anyway ... not sure why. The few I've picked up rarely work for me. :-)

Danielle Zappavigna said...

I felt pretty much the same way as you - took forever to get interesting, but I found the last parts really interesting and loved the epilogue. I can't wait to read Torment now and find out what happens.

Anonymous said...

I felt pretty much the same way. I had no connection to the main character, I was left with more questions than answers, and it just didn't do anything for me. I was really disappointed because I thought I would love it - it's an awesome concept. Sadly, Torment didn't do much better.

Megan @ Read It, See It

Kathy Martin said...

Great review! I agree. I kept trying to understand what she saw in him. It completely escaped me. I will be reading the sequel though because the book did get stronger at the end. Happy reading!

Erika said...

I'm really sorry to hear that this turned out to be a disappointment for you. I enjoyed it more than you did, but the book was far from perfect. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Torment will be mind-blowingly awesome.

Here on the CEP.

Books Glorious Books said...

I'll second that! I hope it doesn't get any worse!

Mrs. DeRaps said...

I, too, was let down by this book. I had such high hopes! But, I do plan to read the second book. I don't know why, but I just have a feeling that it's going to be better.

I'm also signed up for the Sept. Reading Challenge. I love that it's one book per week. Very do-able.

Here from the CEP.

RaĆ­la said...

Well, yes, I admit that when I finish this book I was so... enthusiasmatic that I did not recognize its flaws. Lucy is indeed a poor and stupid character, as well as the story. Although, at the end, there were events that got me interested and wondering about. There are many, many questions to be answered; many, many mysteries I want to discover. :-) Congrats for being honest! Loved your review!

Sent here by CEP.

Books Glorious Books said...

@Raila I second that...the end was intriguing; there are so many questions I need answering too!
Thanks for visiting!

YA Book Queen said...

I have to admit, the ending saved this book for me. But there were a lot of flaws...hopefully Torment will be better :)

Eleni said...

Nice review, I have yet to read Fallen, Hopefully I do soon...

I'm commenting from the Comment Exchange Program. :)

Books Glorious Books said...

@Lea Yeah the ending saved me from abandoning the whole series all together; at least I still want to read Torment.
@Eleni Thanks for visiting and commenting!

Nat said...

Oooo, thanks for the honest review. I also compared this one to Hush, Hush, but that helped Fallen because I did not like Hush, Hush! :)

I'm also hoping Torment will be better, because I also had some problems with Fallen (just not as many as I had with Hush, Hush).