Thursday 2 September 2010

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater (Review)


Summary:

The pack circled around me,
tongues and teeth and growls.

When a local boy is killed by wolves, Grace's small town becomes a place of fear and suspicion. But Grace can't help being fascinated by the pack, and by one yellow-eyed wolf in particular. There's something about him - something almost human.

Then she meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away...

After almost being mauled by wolves when younger, Grace finds herself falling in love with one in particular. The one who saved her. The one with yellow eyes.

But it's only after six years that  they could finally meet - as humans that is!

Shiver is definitely unique. I loved it for it's originality. I mean, where else can you read about werewolves that are only human in the hot temperatures of summer and a wolf in the icy temperatures of Mercy Fall's winters.

This book is told in alternating perspectives (Sam and Grace's) which was refreshing to say the least. Both characters were so different and yet they seemed to fit so perfectly together.

Sam is gentle, kind and had a burdensome past after becoming a werewolf. Grace is strong, intelligent and set in her ways.

The ending of the book seriously melted my heart! I don't even know what to say anymore; I really can't fault this book at all. I can't wait to read the sequel - Linger.

On the whole, Shiver was a beautiful read with a lovely pace and poetic writing style. Definitely well worth the read!




My Rating: 10/10

Publisher: Scholastic




2 comments:

Danielle Zappavigna said...

I loved this book, and Linger is on the bookshelf at my local store, but it's in a hardback and I want a paperback copy to match my copy of shiver. Luckily I've got about 100 books on my TBR shelf here at home to keep me occupied until the paperback Linger comes out!

Unknown said...

I'm v late coming to this trilogy! Shiver is on my to-read shelf, can't wait now I've read your review. Thanks. SD