Monday 18 April 2011

Review: The Summoner

Title: The Summoner

Author: Layton Green

Publication date: 8/12/2010

Book source: Ebook received from author

My Rating: 7/10

Buy the book


Summary:

A United States diplomat disappears in front of hundreds of onlookers while attending a religious ceremony in the bushveld of Zimbabwe.

Dominic Grey, Diplomatic Security special agent, product of a violent childhood and a worn passport, is assigned to investigate. Aiding the investigation is Professor Viktor Radek, religious phenomenologist and expert on cults, and Nya Mashumba, the local government liaison.

What Grey uncovers is a terrifying cult older than Western civilization, the harsh underbelly of a country in despair, a demagogic priest seemingly able to perform impossibilities, and the identity of the newest target.

Himself.


My thoughts:

I loved the characters more than anything in this story. They were really three-dimensional and had such depth it made them really realistic and relatable.

I also really loved the plot. It was definitely intense and exciting, definitely one to keep you reading on. The idea behind the story was great. The settings were described in great descriptive detail. Really mysterious, creepy places and happenings. Plus with the great characters just thrown into the middle of it all…it was great. Definitely not what I was expecting to say the least.

I did find that at times the story could be a little slow going but once I got into it, I really got into it and couldn’t put it down. It has really great quality to the writing with such detail that as well as being a great story it was also one of those reads that you can imagine going on in your head like a film as you’re reading it which is what I like in a book.

There were loads of twists and turns that definitely surprised me and it was definitely a great read that kept me paying attention to the details and actually thinking about what I was reading.

This is one I would definitely recommend!

 

 

 

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

1 comment:

Lissa said...

Haven't heard anything of this book, but you're review has definitely gotten me interested! Great review!