Wednesday 7 September 2011

Review: Angel's Fury

Title: Angel's Fury

Author: Bryony Pearce

Publisher: Egmont

Publication date: 4th July 2011

Paperback: 304 pages

Genre: Fantasy

Young Adult

Source: UK Book Tours

My Rating: 9/10

Summary:

I've started to have dreams while I'm awake. I remember music I've never heard ... I've got all this extra stuff in my head, but I'm forgetting things from my own life. I feel like I'm being taken over.

Cassie Farrier has always suffered from terrifying nightmares. On a trip to Germany she recognises scenes from her dreams and finds evidence of a sixty year-old massacre. Fearing for her sanity, her family sends Cassie to a retreat where she meets others with symptoms like her own and finds out that she has lived a number of past lives.

However, the Doctor at the retreat is not what she seems. Cassie and the boy she comes to love must escape the Doctor’s influence but can they also escape the misery of their shared past?

My thoughts:

I really, really enjoyed this read. It was so original I couldn't not.

It had everything I like in a book. Great characters - every single one of them had their own story and own distinct personality as a result of an interesting backstory.

Angel's Fury immediately starts with one of the dreams the protagonist, Cassie, frequently has which prevents her from sleeping.

The dreams are described throughout the book and they get more and more detailed and descriptive and sometimes, downright creepy. However, the focus of the story was the Doctor who is supposed to help with these dreams at a retreat. I felt that too much focus was on Cassie's home life at the start - it lasted for quite a bit of the book so when Cassie did eventually go to the retreat and meet the characters the were important to the story, it seemed irrelevant because I had already read so much about Cassie's home life.

The rest of the novel more than made up for it though. It was a brilliantly intense and original read that always had me on the edge of my seat. I loved it and it's definitely a must read!


Great quotes:

"I've started to have dreams while I'm awake. I remember music I've never heard... I've got all this extra stuff in my head, but I'm forgetting things from my own life. I feel like I'm being taken over."

Bryony Pearce:
Goodreads|Website|Blog|Twitter|


2 comments:

The Library Page said...

Ugh, love past life stories so much! Gonna have to add this to my to-read list! Nice review! :)

-Clara
thewannabeknight.wordpress.com

Lynn said...

I was glad to read a review about this book because I read the first few chapters before it was released and was interested to see how it turned out. I will keep my eye out for this one now.
Thanks
Lynn