Monday 19 September 2011

Review: Beautiful Creatures

Publisher: Puffin
Publication date: 04 Feb 2010
Paperback: 563 pages
Source: Swapped
Fantasy
My Rating: 7/10
Summary:
IN ETHAN WATE'S HOMETOWN THERE LIES THE DARKEST OF SECRETS...
There is a girl.
Slowly, she pulled the hood from her head...green eyes, black hair.
LENA DUCHANNES
There is a curse.
On the sixteenth moon, of the sixteenth year, the book will take what it's been promised.
AND NO ONE CAN STOP IT.
In the end, there is a grave.
Lena and Ethan become bound together by a deep, powerful love. But Lena is cursed and , on her sixteenth birthday, her fate will be decided.
ETHAN NEVER EVEN SAW IT COMING.
My thoughts:
A lot of people have recommended this read to me so I just had to pick it up.
For the most part it was a good read for me. A boy growing up in a town that he wants to get away from and a new, completely unusual girl comes into the picture that interests him because she's so different to what he's used to. It's the basis of a story that can go anywhere.
It had a lot of exciting and shocking events within the story that made me feel for the main characters but the problem was it went on too long. It's fine for a book to be over 500 pages, but when it gets repetitive it's hard to finish for the storyline and not for the sake of finishing it because I had already read 400 pages.
The characters themselves were great. Lena was a strong character that didn't take no for an answer and Ethan was sweet. The supporting characters were good too. Link (Ethan's best friend) was funny and seemed to be the opposite to Ethan which was probably why they fit so well. The characters that are there to sort of test the protagonists - which they did in bucket loads - were written really well.
Beautiful Creatures is all about this curse that Lena has. It's all about counting down to Lena's sixteenth birthday when something disastrous is going to happen. The build up to the birthday is full of suspense which is definitely what kept me reading. Which brings me to another problem I had. The timing of this book was brilliant until it got closer to the birthday. It just seemed like as it got closer to the date in the book the time gap between events got shorter and shorter which put me off a little. It wasn't evenly distributed if that makes sense. Something would happen and then readers are reminded the date is three months away, but then something else would happen and then reader's are reminded that the birth day is the next week. It was a little frustrating.
The setting of the story - a small town called Gatlin - was brilliantly written. It was a place that was meant to be suffocating and stuffy. It was meant to put people off, at least people who had any sense according to Ethan. I think it was the perfect place for a story like Beautiful Creatures to take place. Gatlin was probably my most favourite aspect of the novel.
Overall, I did enjoy this read because it has a little of everything. I do recommend it for those who like novels filled with suspense, nasty schoolgirls and sweet romance that develops in its own time.
Great quotes:
Three can keep a secret if two of them are dead
I'm just the librarian. I can only give you the books. I can't give you the answers.
Kami Garcia:
Margaret Stohl:

No comments: