Friday 16 September 2011

Review: Eight Keys

Title: Eight Keys

Author: Suzanne LaFleur

Publisher:Puffin Books

Publication date: 11 August 2011

Uncorrected book proof: 216 pages

Source: UK Book Tours

My Rating: 6/10

Summary:

Before I used it, the key had infinite possibilities.

Eleven-year-old Elise feels stuck. Her school locker-buddy squashes her lunch and laughs at her, every day. She doesn't want to go to school - and her best friend Franklin just makes things worse.

Now I was ready for something to be different. Anything, really.

One day Elise discovers an incredible secret. A secret that might just help her unlock her past, and take a chance on the future.

I decided that tomorrow I would see what that key opened up. It had my name on it after all...

My thoughts:

This is going to be one of those awkward reviews where I'm struggling to get my thoughts down on paper...or the internet in this case.

I loved how cute this read was. An eleven, turning twelve, year old who discovers a key meant just for her is going to be a cute character no matter what happens.

The secret behind the key is so sweet and heartbreaking that it makes the book worth reading anyway but apart from that the book wasn't that great. It was a quick and easy read but it just didn't sit well. It was actually quite depressing but not in that I could still read if I was in the mood for a sad story - it was just, depressing, which was quite disappointing.

I also thought that Franklin wasn't a realistic character, he seemed way too young for eleven or twelve so his character didn't really make sense to me sometimes which was frustrating.

Apart from that it was a quick read that can be finished in an afternoon and it did have its good parts that tugged at my heartstrings.

Suzanne LaFleur:
Goodreads|Website


No comments: