Wednesday 14 September 2011

Review: Kill All Enemies

Title: Kill All Enemies

Author: Melvin Burgess

Publisher:Puffin Books

Publication date: 01 September 2011

Paperback: 320 pages

Young Adult

Source: UK Book Tours

My Rating: 7/10

Summary:

Everyone says fourteen-year-old Billie is nothing but trouble. A fighter. A danger to her family and friends. But her care worker sees someone different.

Her classmate Rob is big, strong. He can take care of himself and his brother. But his violent Stepdad sees someone to humiliate.

And Chris is struggling at school. He just doesn't want to be there. But his Dad sees a useless no-hoper.

Billie, Rob and Chris each have a story to tell. But there are two sides to every story, and the question is...who do you believe?

My thoughts:

I really liked this read because of the realistic characters. They are probably the most realistic characters I have come across in a book so far which is always a good thing. They weren't likeable all the time but they each had their own story that came together in the end in a way that makes you question the way society works sometimes.

It's a good author that can make you like and dislike a character at the same time. The characters did stupid things sometimes and yet I felt for them when they continued to be misunderstood.

It makes you realise that a person's actions are for a reason whether it be good or bad. I won't bore you with a rant about society from me because I'll get carried away, but, it really makes you think twice about judging someone based on their actions and your immediate response.

Having said that the book didn't sit well with me at times. I can't place it exactly but the jump between characters and events sort of frustrated me somehow. Maybe there could have been more details and such but sometimes the book was uncomfortable to read. For me anyways.

I do recommend this one though. It's the book that makes you think whilst reading it in order to understand what's going on fully. It's a good read.

Melvin Burgess:
Goodreads|Website|Blog|Twitter


No comments: