Friday 7 October 2011

Review: Raw Blue

Title: Raw Blue

Author: Kirsty Eagar

Publisher: Penguin Australia

Publication date: 29/06/09

Paperback: 274 pages

Young Adult: Contemporary

Source: Loan from UK Swap Shop

Extract|Video

My Rating: 7/10

Summary:

Carly has dropped out of uni to spend her days surfing and her nights working as a cook in a Manly cafĂ©. Surfing is the one thing she loves doing … and the only thing that helps her stop thinking about what happened two years ago at schoolies week.

And then Carly meets Ryan, a local at the break, fresh out of jail. When Ryan learns the truth, Carly has to decide. Will she let the past bury her? Or can she let go of her anger and shame, and find the courage to be happy?

My thoughts:

I had heard loads of great things about this one so I just had to pick it up.

Unfortunately though I was a little disappointed. It was a good read but I was expecting it to be a lot better.

Raw Blue is basically about a nineteen year old, Carly, who loves to surf and so she dropped out of University to have more time to do so. She's fallen out with her family, she has this a horrible past, she has to work in a horrible cafe during the night where she's not having a great time of it.

I really liked the characters. I thought the way Carly was written made reading the whole book a great experience where I was completely relaxed reading it and I found myself forgetting about everything else going on around me and was solely focused on the story.

Kirsty Eagar made a video about Raw Blue which I've linked at the top of this post and she mentioned that normally, writing is telling a story, but for Raw Blue it was like listening to one. I completely agree with where she's coming from because reading this was like listening to Carly's story. The problem was, I didn't feel like Carly was a strong enough character for me to feel the anger she feels in the book. I knew she was angry. I just didn't feel angry for her, which is what I should have felt given her circumstances. That's where I was disappointed.

Ryan was a great character. It was great how the typical roles in novels was reversed in this one. Ryan was the one to help Carly get through obstacles and tell him her past so she could deal with it. I think normally in books it's the other way round. However, I felt that Ryan wasn't mentioned no way near enough for how important he was to the story and to Carly's development as a character.

Overall I do recommend this read. It was a quick read and despite my negative thoughts about it, it was rather memorable.

Great Quotes:

Once they know they've got a hold of your shame, they can shake it out and hold it up for the all world to see. And you become less than it. You become something disgusting.

He’s still singing to himself, eyes closed, pretending, I think, that I’m someone else.
I shout in his ear again. ‘So you can’t just lay down and die?’
He doesn’t open his eyes, but he nods. ‘You can’t just lay down and die”

Kirsty Eagar:
Goodreads|Website|Blog|


1 comment:

Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

What a shame that this one didn't live up to your expectations. That said, I'm still really excited to get my hands on a copy so I can see how I feel about it!