Wednesday 15 February 2012

Review: Dead Beautiful

Title: Dead Beautiful
Author: Yvonne Wood
Series: Dead Beautiful #1
Publisher:Usborne
Publication date: September 21st 2010
Paperback: 505 pages
Source: Bought
My rating: 8/10

Synopsis:

Desire. Danger. Destiny.
Little did I know that this is what I would find at Gottfried Academy.

Coming fro sunny California, the mist-shrouded Academy was a shock, with its strange customs, ancient curriculum and study of Latin - the language of the dead. Then I discovered that the school has more than one dark secret..

I also discovered Dante. Intelligent, elusive and devastatingly gorgeous, most people can't decide whether they love, hate or fear him. All I know is that when we're together, I've never felt more alive - or more afraid.

Does finding your soulmate mean losing yourself?

My thoughts:

This was definitely another one of those reads where the characters make the story. I really did love all of the characters in this book even those who didn't make that much of an appearance - they still made a big impression which was great.

I have to say that Dead Beautiful would have got a 10/10 rating in my opinion if it wasn't for the face that any romance in the book was way too similar to Twilight. I hated reading little tidbits and immediately thinking of Twilight since it's not Twilight I'm reading. I like a book to make an impression based on originality and the story itself, not because it reminds me of another book.

With that out of the way though I still really loved this book. It was a real page turner with the mystery that was involved and an entire boarding school full of people involved in it too.

The plot was great. Yvonne Wood was definitely not afraid too keep readers in the dark for as long as possible and it just made it all the more thrilling to find out all the answers in one go at the end of the book. It was actually quite creepy at points too which was surprising since I wasn't expecting it.

Immediately after finishing this book I was kind of frustrated with how it ended since it didn't really tie up much. I did look to see if it was part of a series though so when I discovered it is I was good! :p

It was definitely a read that introduces a reader into another world entirely full of new and exciting ideas and possiblities. I definitely can't wait to find out where Yvonne takes the next book and if it gets even better than this one!

I do recommend this one simply because it's a good read. It has you turning pages quickly and that counts for a lot.

Books in the series so far:

  • Dead Beautiful
  • Life Eternal

Challenges this book counts towards:

  1. 100 Books In A Year
  2. New Author Challenge
  3. TBR Reading Challenge


No comments: