Monday 13 February 2012

Review: Working Stiff

Title: Working Stiff
Author: Rachel Caine
Series: Revivalist #1
Publisher:Allison & Busby
Publication date: 31st October 2011
Paperback: 473 pages
Source: Bought
My rating: 8/10

Synopsis:

Bryn Davis knows working at Fairview Mortuary isn't the most glamorous career choice, but at least it offers stable employment--until she discovers her bosses using a drug that resurrects the clientele as part of an extortion racket. Now, Bryn faces being terminated--literally, and with extreme prejudice.
Wit the help of corporate double-agent Patrick McCallister, Bryn has a chance to take down the bigger problem--pharmaceutical company Pharmadene, which treats death as the ultimate corporate loyalty program. She'd better do it fast, before she becomes a zombie slave--a real working stiff. She'd be better off dead...

My thoughts:

Even though I haven't read many so far, I absolutely adore Rachel Caine's books and I could read them all day every day.

Working Stiff was definitely no exception. I really loved everything about it.

First off, what I actually was disappointed in was a few parts in the book where it felt a little rushed because details and descriptions were lacking a little bit. It was in no way throughout the whole read though which was good.

As for why I loved the book, it was mainly because of the brilliant characters. They are so different and yet they work together so well that I couldn't help but love them. Bryn - the protagonist - was just thrown in the deep end more or less from the start so her character had to develop really quickly in what seemed like a short amount of time. She was strong without having to be the whole 'going on a killing spree' type. She was the most vulnerable of characters and yet she dealt with it however she could. The other supporting characters (I would list them all but it would take a while) were equally brilliant. All of the characters seemed to have an element of desperation to them which was understandable given what happens in the book but it shone through which made me really feel for each and every one of them for different reasons.

The plot was also fantastic. It was another read where I didn't want to get back to real life just to find out what happens and remain in Bryn's world for a little while more. It had a lot of depth to it especially for the first book in a series - I definitely can't wait for more of this one!

I also loved the writing. It had fast paced action alongside slow, emotional moments that made for fantastic reading. Apart from a few parts I definitely did not want to put this book down.

Overall, I think this is a fantastic read to stay on the shelf and to come back to. I don't think I'll get tired of reading this again. Obviously I sure do recommend this read for anyone, especially fans of Rachel Caine.

Books in the series:
  1. Working Stiff
  2. Two Weeks' Notice

Challenges this book counts towards:

  1. 100 Books In A Year
  2. TBR Pile Reading Challenge
  3. Horror & Urban Fantasy Challenge

Happy reading everyone!


No comments: