Thursday 7 June 2012

Review: Evermore

3975774

 

Title: Evermore

Author: Alyson Noel

Series: The Immortals #1

Publisher: Macmillan - UK | St. Martin's Press - US

Publication date: 18 Sep 09 - UK | February 2009 - US

Format: Paperback - 400 pages

Genre: Paranormal Romance

Young Adult



Sixteen - year - old Ever Bloom is the sole survivor of a car accident that killed her family. Exiled to sunny California, Ever is haunted by her little sister and by the ability to see people's auras, hear their thoughts and know their entire life story by touching them. She wants to hide from the world, but when a stunningly handsome new guy arrives at school, she can't seem to keep away. Falling in love with Damen is dangerous - he's not what he seems. But if Damen is her destiny, how can Ever walk away?



My thoughts:


After immediately finishing this book the first thought that came into my head was that a lot of people are bound to really hate this read. It's the kind of book that is for some readers and not for others to be honest. It has an overwhelming amount of cheesiness that some people won't mind but some people will despise it. 

 

Evermore involves Ever who in addition to her family's death has to deal with her new-found abilities of reading minds and auras. Insert Damen - the intense hot guy who quietens the never-ending cascade of thoughts Ever has to hear from others around her - but of course, Damen isn't who he says he is.

 

Personally, I found this to be an 'okay' read. It's a nice, quick and easy to get through (I finished in about four hours), but it does lack the substance and brilliant writing to be really great. It is the first in the series though and I do think it's good enough to try the next book. 

 

I liked the plot and the way the story turns out towards the end but I have to say I think the characters could have been a lot better. I found Ever to be a little annoying seeing as she seems to wander around without thinking - sort of a clueless character which could have been endearing but I thought it was a bit too much. The supporting characters like Miles and Haven just weren't given enough depth. I ended up not caring for them at all which is never a good thing in a story. Damen I actually didn't like at all which surprised me. I thought he wasn't given much of a chance in the book to shine though so I am going to give him another chance!

 

The story line itself was nice. Parts of it were sweet and there were some great ideas thrown in there that I think will be brought up a lot more in the next books. I feel it has potential and I really hope I like the next books a lot better!

 

My rating: 5/10

 

Alyson Noel:

Goodreads | Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter

 

Other books in the series:

  1. Evermore
  2. Blue Moon
  3. Shadowland
  4. Dark Flame
  5. Night Star
  6. Everlasting

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree. I liked the first three but towards the end of the series I was starting to dislike it! Not to discourage you because your experience is different from mine but proceed with caution. LOL

Talk Supe

Daniela said...

I only read Evermore and I didn't really connect with the book. It wasn't exactly my cup of tea, but there some parts that got me interested. I don't think I'll continue with the series though.
Love your review! :)

-Daniela @ YA Book Season
http://www.yabookseasons.blogspot.com/