Monday 18 June 2012

Review: The Iron Daughter

9616780

Title: The Iron Daughter

Author: Julie Kagawa

Series: The Iron Fey #2

Publisher: Mira (UK) | Harlequin Teen (US)

Publication date: May 2011 | Aug 2010

Format: Paperback - 384 pages

Genre: Fantasy

Young Adult



Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fitted in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter Prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron fey - ironbound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her.


Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's stuck in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting the prince who betrayed her, deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.



My thoughts:


There's always a teensy bit of apprehension when reading the next book in any series - especially if the first book is amazing as The Iron King. I'm going to get it off my chest straight away and say this wasn't as good as the first book in the series, but I did think it was still a brilliant read.

 

I hate the fact that I find myself comparing this book the first one but that's just what happens. I think I found the first one better just because there's this whole new world introduced and it has this certain magical feel to it which is really apparent. There's a half-human girl just getting used to the place and all these great creatures and characters are introduced. That magic is drastically reduced in the second book. I already know the characters for the most part, I already know the world and I already know what direction the plot is going to take.

 

Now that's out of the way, I still thought this book was a really thrilling read. So far this series seems to be almost separated into two parts per book. The first being the part of the book that focuses more on the world of the fey as opposed to the story line itself. Then they both seemed to take a sharp turn and something surprising happens that turns the story around completely - even the tone of the writing changes. After that point I start flipping through the pages as fast as my eyes allow me.

 

All the great characters are reintroduced in this book. Ash was especially chilling in this one - it only makes me like him more! Puck was causing his usual mischief and Grimalkin was being...Grimalkin. Can I just point out how awesome he is? These books should actually be read purely because of him...a cat. He's pure amazingness.

 

I love the fact that Meghan seems to be changing slightly. There's a difference to her reactions and decisions in the end of this book compared to the beginning of the first book. But it's happening slowly which is what I like about it. She's developing at a constant rate and doesn't just have a random revelation in the middle of the book for no reason, causing her to become some mighty person who can do anything. That's what seems to be happening in most books lately and I hate it. Meghan has still kept both sides to her (human and fey) balanced and is all the more endearing for it.

 

Overall this book certainly wasn't any kind of disappointment . It was an engrossing read full of great characters and a captivating plot. Another wonderful faery read. 

 

My rating: 8/10

 

Julie Kagawa:

Goodreads | Website | Twitter | Blog

 

Books in the series:

  1. The Iron King
  2. The Iron Daughter
  3. The Iron Queen 
  4. The Iron Knight
 

1 comment:

Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

Oh this is one of my favourite series, I heart Julie Kagawa :) (And Prince Ash)