Monday 9 July 2012

Review: Flesh and Blood


9571407

Title: Flesh and Blood

Author: Kristen Painter

Series: House of Comarre #2

Publisher: Orbit (UK | US)

Publication date: UK - 06/10/2011 | US - 10/1/2011

Format: Paperback - 432 pages

Genre: Urban Fantasy

 

 

The covenant holding the othernatural and our mortal world apart has broken, promising a dark future for humankind. The Ring of Sorrows will be crucial in salvaging this mess - but this powerful artifact is missing and Chrysabelle was the last to see it, placing her life in great danger.


But instead of lying low, she must fulfil her debt to the undead to the undead outcast Malkolm. This requires them to return to the hidden vampire city of Corvinestri, the very last place either of them will find safety. Especially when they will encounter power-hungry witches, Kubai Mata warriors and a host of hostile vampires.


If Chrysabelle survives her choices, what's left of her life will never be the same.



My thoughts:


Flesh and Blood begins just two weeks after the ending of the first book in the series Blood Rights. Chrysabelle - still think it's an awesome name - has to keep her promise to Malkolm and try to find out how to rid him of his curses whilst still keeping the powerful Ring of Sorrows from evil vampiress Tatiana's hands.

 

I still love the world that this story is set in. I love the idea of all these othernaturals like Comarre and the Kubai Mata - there are so many aspects to the story that grab your attention throughout the read that it's never boring for one second. 

 

The characters were most definitely not in any way disappointing. Chrysabelle was still endearing and yet so flawed that it made her real somehow, Malkolm of course was as sexy as ever and just as sweet and Tatiana was just as bratty as always. There was another important character introduced into this one though, Creek, one of the Kubai Mata group - protectors of humans. He was a little disappointing to me. I liked him at first - he represented a new and exciting aspect to the story, but it just felt like he was in the way in this book. It might be just me thinking that I like Malkolm too much for someone else to get involved in Chrysabelle's life...yeah it's probably just me. But in my defense, he still wasn't as involved in the story as Malkolm was or even any supporting characters which kind of pushed him to the back of my mind when reading the book. It was a little frustrating.

 

As for the plot, it was in no way as packed full of suspense as the first book in the series. It was more of a fill in type of read. The plot was still good - it was just that it was a carry on from the first book so it was nothing new and enthralling. 

 

As a whole the book was made a really good read purely because of the characters holding it together and the fantastic world building. I really do love this series so far and I can't wait to find out what happens next - a word of warning, Flash and Blood ends with the mother of all cliffhangers. 

 

My rating: 8/10

 

Kristen Painter:

Goodreads | Blog | Twitter | Website | Facebook

 

Books in the series:

  1. Blood Rights - review here.
  2. Flesh and Blood
  3. Bad Blood
  4. Out for Blood

2 comments:

Jade @ Chasing Empty Pavements said...

I LOVED the first one and then I read a bunch of reviews on this one that weren't so good so I was nervous to pick it up. Plus I had a trillion other reviews books to go. Reading your review though brings back all the things that I loved about the first one. Thanks for the review!

Unknown said...

I want this coz of the covers, they are gorgeous.

I will be bingeing on this series next