Saturday 11 August 2012

Series Spotlight: House of Night #5-6

House of Night by P.C. Cast & Kristin Cast

 

6274251

Title: Hunted - Book #5

Author: P.C Cast & Kristin Cast

Publisher: UK - Atom | US - St. Martin's Griffin

Publication date: UK - 04/06/2009 | US - March 2010

Format: Paperback - 448 pages

Genre: Paranormal - Young Adult

 

 

It's all happening, though Zoey Redbird wishes it wasn't. She has her friends back, which is great. But a dark angel has taken over the House of Night, supported by High Priestess Neferet. Not so great. This leaves Zoey hiding out with the (supposedly friendly) red fledglings in Tulsa's prohibition - era tunnels. The not greatness continues.


Naturally, Zoey also has boy issues to stress her out, with a chance to make up with super-hot Eric. But thoughts of the archer that died, semi-permanently, in her arms keep distracting her. Then he shows up as Neferet's newest minion. Well, hell. Zoey and friends will need a plan to put things right, and soon, if she can just jeep her head and her heart intact.



My thoughts:


I have to start off by saying it doesn't seem like Zoey's boy 'issues' are getting any better - meaning she can't decide between three guys so thinks it's okay to have all of them and share… I think I'm just going to have to get over it - I mean it's the fifth book in the series after all, if it's not solved by now I don't think it ever will be!

 

I think this has to be the best in the series so far in my opinion. Of course I'm only half way through but I enjoyed this one more than the others.

 

Stark was in this book a lot more. I mentioned in my last review of Untamed that he was my new favourite character and I still stand by that. I love his bad boy persona and the fact that his goddess given gift is that he can't miss a target in archery. How cool is that?! I've always wanted to try my hand at archery… 

 

As for the plot it doesn't develop a whole lot more but it does introduce the character involved a lot more thoroughly which was interesting. I have to say though, the ending to this book had to have been the most anticlimactic ending I've ever read. It just seemed too easy and too rushed in a sense. 

 

One thing I do want to see happen is for Zoey to use her powers to a more extreme level. So far the most she's done is cast a circle and use it in a certain way but I would really like to read about her maybe being by herself and using them to their full extent. 

 

Overall this was an entertaining read with a brilliant new bad boy character even if it did have a somewhat disappointing ending in my opinion. 

 

My rating: 7/10

 

 

6262365

Title: Tempted - Book #6

Author: P.C Cast & Kristin Cast

Publisher: UK - Atom | US - St. Martin's Griffin

Publication date: UK - 27/10/2009 | US - October 2009

Format: Hardback - 319 pages

Genre: Paranormal - Young Adult

 

 

Dangerous secrets come between Zoey and Stevie Rae, putting their friendship - and the House of Night - at great risk. Stevie Rae, with her super red vamp powers, thought she could handle keeping stuff from her BFF, but her latest secret is in a new league. Zoey's left wondering if she can trust the person she thought would always have her back. And she needs her friends - and boyfriends - like never before.


Zoey banished malevolent immortal Kalona from Tulsa, but the battle is far from over. He now seeks power at the highest levels, and the Vampyre High Council is falling under his thrall. Without Zoey's help, the world could still burn in the fiery hell of Aphrodite's visions. And will Zoey's connection with A-ya, a Cherokee maiden who tempted Kalona in ages past, help or hinder her resistance to the dangerously seductive immortal?


My thoughts:


For a start, this book is a really great improvement to previous books in the series. A lot more happens, including a change of settings from the usual House of Night which was a nice little change - plus there was lots more of Stark!


Tempted introduces different characters point of view which didn't happen previously. Quite a few characters including Aphrodite, Stevie Rae, Heath and - my favourite - Stark got their own chance to narrate. I know a lot of readers actually hate the different points of view in any read but for me it was a nice change from Zoey. It's also a great way to get inside other character's heads. It gives readers the chance to understand why they are doing what they're doing and maybe answers a few questions readers have. For example, I was wondering why on earth Stevie Rae was being so silly with all her big secrets. With her point of view I began to understand it, even if I still thought it was a little too dramatic.

 

The big improvement for me was the fact that the plot seemed to move a little faster with this book - nothing much more actually happened as opposed to previous books but the plot seems to develop in terms of where the characters are going with it and how they react to what they, maybe, have to do to get there.

 

Everything else I did or didn't like was basically the same as mentioned in the other reviews. Loved the characters and hated the fact Zoey has so much 'boy drama'. That actually proves to be a disaster in this book as anyone who hasn't yet read it will find out - hate to say I told you so Zoey… 

 

My rating: 8/10

 

P.C. and Kristin Cast:

P.C. - Goodreads - Kristin | Website | Blog | Facebook

 

Books in the series:

  1. Marked
  2. Betrayed
  3. Chosen
  4. Untamed
  5. Hunted
  6. Tempted
  7. Burned
  8. Awakened
  9. Destined
  10. Hidden

House of Night by P.C. Cast & Kristin Cast

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ugh! Can you imagine, stringing along 3 guys?! And it's starting to get clique-y, like "lets give everybody powers". My thing is, if they're so special, getting gifted so young by the Goddess, how come the high council haven't swooped on them so early? Some things don't make sense to me in the grand scheme of things...