Monday 13 August 2012

Series Spotlight: House of Night #7-8

House of Night by P.C. Cast & Kristin Cast

 

6917951

Title: Burned - Book #7

Author: P.C Cast & Kristin Cast

Publisher: UK - Atom | US - St. Martin's Griffin

Publication date: UK - 27/04/2010| US - September 2011

Format: Hardback - 325 pages

Genre: Paranormal - Young Adult

 

 

 

 Zoey Redbird is the youngest High Priestess in House of Night history and is the only person - vamp or fledgling - who can stop the evil of Neferet from raising all kinds of immortal trouble. And she might just have a chance if she wasn't so busy being dead.


Well, dead is too strong a word. Stevie Rae knows she can bring her BFF back from her unscheduled va-cay in the Otherworld. But it's going to take a lot more than hoping to bring Zoey back. Stevie Rae might have to give up a few secrets of her own… 



My thoughts:


Well this was definitely a change to the usual House of Night stories...


To re-cap, Zoey Redbird becomes a vampire, moves to the House of Night in Tulsa so she doesn't die and loads of high school drama ensues. Add to that becoming a High Priestess, having five affinities which is unheard of and having an evil past High Priestess who happens to be trying to take over the world and wouldn't mind if you get killed in the process - well, not your average high school drama...


There were a lot of new additions to the plot in Burned which were not expected, especially thinking about the beginning of the series - it seems to be taking an entirely new direction. I found myself liking that which I normally don't seeing as it's the seventh book in the series. This was done tastefully though and I think it kept the books fresh and new as opposed to the usual running to different classes about Vampyres in the House of Night.


The characters weren't any disappointment I'm happy to say. Especially Stark. Stark was especially amazing in this one! Actually I feel like Burned is more focused on Stark and his relationship with Zoey and Stevie Rae and her relationship with erm…someone else -I'm not going to spoil it. It was a great book for character development and I think the characters did do that to a good extent. I have to say Neferet is getting decidedly creepier - I love it.

 

All in all Burned wasn't disappointing and it was one that had me racing to the end - it's a really intriguing read this one, for more reasons than you'd expect.

 

My rating: 8/10 

 

 

8835689

Title: Awakened - Book #8

Author: P.C Cast & Kristin Cast

Publisher: UK - Atom | US - St. Martin's Griffin

Publication date: UK - 04/01/2011| US - January 2011

Format: Paperback - 290 pages

Genre: Paranormal - Young Adult

 

 

Exonerated by the Vampyre High Council and returned to her position of High Priestess at Tulsa's House of Night, Neferet has sworn vengeance on Zoey. But Zoey has found sanctuary on the Isle of Skye and is being groomed by Queen Sgiach to take over for her there. Being Queen would be cool, wouldn't it?


And what about Stevie Rae and Rephaim? The Raven Mocker refuses to be used against Stevie Rae, but what choice does he have when no one in the entire world, including Zoey, would be okay with their relationship? Does he betray his father or his heart?



My thoughts:


I'm sorry to say this book was a real disappointment to me. It really didn't live up to expectations in so many different ways and I could only carry on reading for one reason and one reason alone.


I've mentioned before that one of the things I enjoyed most about this series were the characters. I didn't really get to do that in this book. For some reason everyone just annoyed me. I didn't even like Stark in this one believe it or not. It seems like everything that had happened was overused since it had happened to another character before and they happened to make it through. It was all so cliche and overworked. The fact that every single one of the characters so far has had something terrible happen to them is fine and it was great to read about them getting over it but then when it happens all over again - it's overkill. 


Now that's off my chest I have to say the story between Stevie Rae and Rephaim was really great. It was heartwarming and different and Rephaim was brilliant. To be honest, it was what kept me reading this one and probably will the next! 


All in all I was seriously disappointed with this read. I honestly hope the next is a lot better but with the way Awakened ended I'll be setting my expectations a lot lower.


My rating: 4/10


 

P.C. and Kristin Cast:

 

P.C. - Goodreads - Kristin | Website | Blog | Facebook

 

 

 

Books in the series:

 

  1. Marked
  2. Betrayed
  3. Chosen
  4. Untamed
  5. Hunted
  6. Tempted
  7. Burned
  8. Awakened
  9. Destined
  10. Hidden
 
House of Night by P.C. Cast & Kristin Cast

No comments: