Monday 10 September 2012

Review: Chosen Ones

15838934

Title: Chosen Ones

Author: Tiffany Truitt

Series: The Lost Souls #1

Publisher: Entangled Teen

Publication date: April 10 2012

Format: eARC 

Genre: Dystopian YA

 

 

Life is bleak but uncomplicated for sixteen-year-old Tess, living in a not-too-distant future where the government, faced with humanity's extinction, created the Chosen Ones, artificial beings who are extraordinarily beautiful, unbelievably strong, and unabashedly deadly.When Tess begins work at Templeton, a Chosen Ones training facility, she meets James, and the attraction is immediate in its intensity, overwhelming in its danger. But there is more to Templeton than Tess ever knew. Can she stand against her oppressors, even if it means giving up the only happiness in her life?



My thoughts:


Chosen Ones was a little bit of a roller- coaster ride for me. I spent most of the read trying to decide whether or not I like it because the pace of the story kept changing so much. 


I enjoyed how I was sort of thrown into the deep end of the story. It starts off with no explanation of the world the protagonist, Tess, is living in and just dives right into the action. It was nice in a way because it was intriguing and I wanted to find out more about this different world that punishes women for being infertile and leaves the children to suffer for everyone's mistakes. But it did leave me thinking I'd missed out an entire book in a series.


A lot was explained after a while with memories, flashbacks and letters so it was left to the reader to put the pieces together which was really different and enjoyable. I just felt that the book as a whole was out of order in some way which is why I can't decide if I like it or not.


The plot was nice to read. It wasn't original so much, but it was still pleasant. A lot of it was incredibly fast paced which I always enjoy and it left me turning pages which is always a good thing! I did find the ending to be way to abrupt for my liking - it really did come out of nowhere and seemed entirely too rushed.


Chosen One's characters were another confusing point for me. I didn't really understand Tess as a character because she changed too drastically for my liking too early into the book. She was such a strong and sometimes stubborn person that I felt she wouldn't be easy to change if change needed to happen - and it did. The fact that she was of one mind one second and of another a page later with no in between occurrence made her too hard to relate to in my opinion. 


And then there was James and Henry. Henry was another character who seemed to be something else entirely different to what he turned out to be. He was also a little bit too much on the sidelines for a character who was supposed to be important in the end. James, however, was my favourite character. He was just James the whole way through and didn't become anything else or change completely - he only became more sure of himself and his actions - yeah, I loved James.


Overall this was an average read for me although it did have it's intense and heart stopping moments. 


My rating: 5/10



Tiffany Truitt:

Goodreads | Blog | Twtter | Facebook


Books in the series:

  1. Chosen Ones
  2. Naturals

 

1 comment:

aparajita said...

great review.
i want want want this book really bad.

Le' Grande Codex