Thursday 28 February 2013

Review: Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

7619057

Title: Warm Bodies

Author: Isaac Marion

Series: Warm Bodies #1

Publisher: Vintage

Publication date: Oct 28th 2010

Format: Paperback - 240 pages

Genre: Horror | Paranormal Romance




'R' is a zombie. He has no name, no memories and no pulse, but he has dreams. He is a little different from his fellow Dead.

Amongst the ruins of an abandoned city, R meets a girl. Her name is Julie and she is the opposite of everything he knows - warm and bright and very much alive, she is a blast of colour in a dreary grey landscape. For reasons he can't understand, R chooses to save Julie instead of eating her, and a tense yet strangely tender relationship begins.

This has never happened before. It breaks the rules and defies logic, but R is no longer content with life in the grave. He wants to breathe again, he wants to live, and Julie wants to help him. But their grim, rotting world won't be changed without a fight…



My thoughts:


Like a lot of people, I rushed to get this book before I go and see the film that just came out - I saw the trailer and it looked bloody hilarious. It had been on my wishlist since it first came out but I just forgot about it for some reason. I'm kind of glad I did though since I didn't have long to wait before the film came out.


I found myself liking this book more than I thought I would. I'd read a whole lot of reviews before even thinking about picking the book up, most of them saying the book was really enjoyable, but I couldn't help being very apprehensive. 


I thought was R was the highlight of the whole story. I loved his narrative and his personality. He was sweet, sometimes to the point of being cheesy, and then he would become incredibly philosophical when it came down to explaining his own existence. 


Most of all though, R was just completely unexpected. When people talk about their favourite romantic characters it's always the bad boys who change or the mysterious vampire/werewolves, not the zombie who doesn't want to be dead. But I fell in love with R! He had this really unusual charm to him with the way he interacts with others, being alive or dead, and with himself too. His mind was completely open to readers and that made for a fantastic read. I really love R.


I thought the plot was amazing too. I really liked the idea that if somebody has hope then there will always be somewhere you can go and something you can do to change things - giving up wasn't an option for certain characters in this book. It had its lovely, heartwarming moments and moments where nothing seems to be going right. The fact that I stayed up well into the night to finish this book really says it all.


Overall, I thought this was a fantastic read and I only wish it was a lot, lot longer.

 
My rating: 9/10
 
 
 
Isaac Marion
 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hopping by from the Leap into Books hop. I saw this post on the sidebar- I can't believe I had no idea Warm Bodies was a book. My husband and I saw the movie the other day and I thought it was funny and sweet. I have to pick up the book now!

Unknown said...

I loved this book too. And the movie. :) Good review!