Wednesday 13 February 2013

Series Spotlight: Parasol Protectorate #4

8356487

Title: Heartless

Author: Gail Carriger

Series: Parasol Protectorate #4

Publisher: Orbit

Publication date: July 2011

Format: Paperback - 385 pages

Genre: Urban Fantasy | Steampunk

Heartless (The Parasol Protectorate, #4)

 

 

When a mad ghost threatens the queen, Alexia is on the case, following a trail that leads her deep into her husband's past. Top that off with a sister who has joined the suffragette movement (shocking!), Madame Lefoux's latest mechanical invention and a plague of zombie porcupines.


Will she be able to figure out who is trying to kill Queen Victoria before it's too late? Is it the vampires again or is there a traitor lurking about in wolf's clothing? And do they really have to take up residence in Lord Akeldama's second best closet?



My thoughts:



This was another great read from Gail Carriger. I enjoyed it just as much as the other books in the series if not more, just because there's a little special difference in Heartless. I don't want to ruin it for anyone who hasn't read the series, even if it is in the summary everywhere, it shouldn't be!

 

I loved reading about Alexia again. I find her attention to details hilarious sometimes - she does notice the funniest things. She's also the most demanding woman I've ever read about in a book. She seriously has no end of demands for everybody around her, especially for things like tea and treacle tart! The way she interacts with people really makes me laugh time and time again, whether it be her husband, her former butler Floote or vampires trying to kill her. Alexia is probably the only heroine I've read about that worries about being civilised towards someone who is proceeding to assassinate her. 

 

The supporting characters were also just as brilliant. Akeldama appeared more in Heartless that in the previous book which I enjoyed - I do love Lord Akeldama and he didn't appear in Blameless anywhere near enough, so his appearances in this one were much appreciated. Lord Maccon was incredibly sweet in this book - I never thought we would see that side of him but when it came out, my heart almost shattered it was the most adorable thing ever. We also get to see a part of Lyall that hasn't made an appearance before. There's an interesting tidbit about his backstory that played a huge part in the whole Woolsey pack's life. It took me completely by surprise.

 

I did feel the plot wasn't as exciting as it was in the previous books until it got towards the end of the book where everything started happening at once. I still enjoyed getting more of the characters in the beginning even if it was a little slow going. The ending was great though, it had loads of action, humour and some really exciting events occur. 

 

I really can't wait to find out what happens next since the book ended the way it did. 

 

My rating: 9/10

 

Gail Carriger:

Goodreads | Website | Facebook | Twitter 

 

Parasol Protectorate:

  1. Soulless
  2. Changeless
  3. Blameless
  4. Heartless
  5. Timeless

 

Parasol Protectorate by Gail Carriger

No comments: