Sunday 21 April 2013

Series Spotlight: The Gatekeepers #1

107664

Title: Raven's Gate

Author: Anthony Horowitz

Series: The Gatekeepers #1

Publisher: Walker Books

Publication date: 01 Aug 2005

Format: Paperback - 288 pages

Genre: YA | Fantasy/Horror

Raven's Gate (The Gatekeepers, #1)

 

 

He always knew he was different.

First there were the dreams.

The the deaths began.


When Matt Freeman gets into trouble with the police, he's sent to be fostered in Yorkshire. It's not long before he senses there's something wrong with his guardian: with the whole village.


Then Matt learns about the Old Ones and begins to understand just how he's different. But no one will believe him; no one can help.


There is no proof.

There is no logic.

There is just the Gate.



My thoughts:


This is one of the first books I read when I started to read constantly. I've always had a soft spot for this series, similar to Harry Potter, because I kind of grew up reading it. Since I haven't read it since starting the blog, and the fact that the last book in the series, Oblivion, just came out, I thought it would be good to do a series spotlight on it.


I remember reading this when I was about eleven years old and being seriously creeped out. It brought back memories of that feeling reading it this time round too. This book definitely has elements of a classic horror story to it. The character gets lost in the woods, gets chased by demonic dogs and is living in a village of seriously crazy people. It definitely has the basics of a great creepy read and I thought it still managed it with me reading it eight years later. 


I still really enjoyed Horowitz's writing. It has this simple structure to it that makes you breeze through the book in no time. It's also got bucket loads of suspense and that creepy factor that sends a shiver down your spine. It's simple and effective.


Raven's Gate's plot is great but you can definitely tell it's the beginning of a series. It mostly feels like an introduction into Matt and Richard's new world and an introduction into the series' plot as a whole. Two of the main characters are introduced and you can tell that a lot more are going to be included along the way. It doesn't really take anything away from the main plot of the first book but it has a certain kind of charm in itself. You feel that you're at the start of a great journey if you want me to be cheesy about it. However, if it was a stand alone, I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it as much - I have a load of questions I need answering. 


My rating: 8/10

 

Anthony Horowitz:

Goodreads | Website | Twitter

 

The Gatekeepers:

  1. Raven's Gate
  2. Evil Star
  3. Nightrise
  4. Necropolis
  5. Oblivion

No comments: