Friday 26 April 2013

Series Spotlight: The Gatekeepers #3

851339

Title: Nightrise

Author: Anthony Horowitz

Series: The Gatekeepers #3

Publisher: Walker Books

Publication date: 02 Apr 2007

Format: Paperback - 416 pages

Genre: YA | Fantasy | Horror

Goodreads



Darkness covers the earth.

The Old Ones have returned.

The battle must begin.


Fourteen-year-old twins Scott and Jamie Tyler have never known who they are or where they came from, but they have always known that they possess extraordinary powers. When Scott is kidnapped by the sinister Nightrise Corporation and Jamie is framed for murder, they realise that they must use those powers if they are going to survive.


But Jamie is catapulted thousands of years into the past, bringing him face to face with the full horror of the Old Ones. Here Jamie learns that he is one of the five Gatekeepers whose power is all that stands in the way of eternal chaos. Together at last, the Five must fight the massed forces of evil. And they must win.



My thoughts:


I was looking forward to a change of pace with the third book in the Gatekeepers series. This one focuses on the twins Jamie and Scott instead of Matt and I welcomed it since I was dying to find out the other characters stories.


This book had everything I loved about the past two books. It was exciting to read and I really didn't want to put it down. I loved getting to know Jamie and his way of thinking. It becomes apparent straight away that Jamie and his brother are two of the Five and even though the story starts off a little slow, it gives a really big insight into the different life Jamie and Scott live compared to Matt and Pedro. 


I loved all of the characters in this one. I was a little disappointed in how little I got to read about Scott but it was obviously essential to the pot. I fell in love with Jamie - he was really unsure of himself at the start of the book and he just grew from there. He went a long way in the space of the story and it was great to see that brilliant character development. 


The plot itself was a little slow at the beginning and it dragged a little in the middle but overall it was fantastic. There was just the right level of suspense and excitement that I was sucked into the world of the characters and I didn't want to leave. 


This series is definitely getting better and better. I really can't wait to find out how it all comes together in the end.


My rating: 8/10


 

Anthony Horowitz:

 

Goodreads | Website | Twitter

 

 

 

The Gatekeepers:

 

  1. Raven's Gate
  2. Evil Star
  3. Nightrise
  4. Necropolis
  5. Oblivion


No comments: