Monday 29 April 2013

Series Spotlight: The Gatekeepers #4

2870651

Title: Necropolis 

Author: Anthony Horowitz

Series: The Gatekeepers #4

Publisher: Walker Books

Publication date: 04 May 2009

Format: Paperback - 400 pages

Genre: YA | Fantasy/Horror

Goodreads



Hong Kong has been taken over by the Old Ones and has become Necropolis, City of the Dead. Once in, there is no way out… Evil has been unleashed on the world and only five children – with special powers – can save it. Matt and the other three desperately need to find Scar, the final Gatekeeper, who has been trapped in Hong Kong, where puddles of water turn into puddles of blood, where ghosts, demons and hideous creatures stalk the streets. Matt has no choice but to follow her. Now, both imprisoned, their only hope of survival is to reach a secret door in the Man Ho temple. But even if Scar can find her psychic power, it may already be too late.

 

 

My thoughts:


This book has to be my favourite so far in the series. This is the third time I've read it and I still can't get enough. It's definitely one of those reads where you can't turn the pages fast enough - I don't think I'll ever get tired of it.


I love the fact that this is the first book in which all of the five gatekeepers are together at some point. I've really enjoyed getting to know all of them, especially Matt and Scar. They all have their own distinct personalities and are all equally loveable. I found Matt and Scar to be the most relatable though - they questioned everything more than the others and they came across as more vulnerable at times. 


The plot of this book was what made it stand out in the series so far. For me, there was so much more suspense involved because as I read on, I got an immediate sense of how desperate everybody was becoming. Everything was depending on the five coming together.


This book has it all for me. It has the brilliant writing of Horowitz and the complex, loveable characters. It also has the mother of all cliffhangers so I definitely can't wait to read the last book for the first time.


My rating: 10/10


Anthony Horowitz:

Goodreads | Website | Twitter

 

The Gatekeepers:

  1. Raven's Gate
  2. Evil Star
  3. Nightrise
  4. Necropolis
  5. Oblivion


No comments: