Wednesday 29 May 2013

Series Spotlight: The Hunger Games #2

12042324

Title: Catching Fire

Author: Suzanne Collins

Publisher: Scholastic

Publication date: Sep 2009

Format: Paperback | 472 pages

Genre: YA | Dystopian

Goodreads



Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol -- a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.

Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.

 

 

My thoughts:


Oh my, what an amazing read that was. Excuse my fangirling while you read this review.


For one, I'm still trying to get over what actually happened. I did not expect that at all! Not any of it! Honestly, it was kind of a worry of mine that this book would get a little predictable - for me, this book would be completely ruined if I guessed even a tiny bit of something happening. But no, everything took me completely by surprise. I am so happy I have the last book already because I would not have been okay with waiting for the last book to come out like so many people had to.


I mentioned in the review of the first book in the series that I wished Gale was in the story a little more. I still feel that way to be honest - he was around a lot more but I wanted to get to know his character better than I did. I loved Gale when he was around though, and Peeta too. My God Peeta has to be the sweetest guy I've ever had the pleasure of reading about - the things he says to Katniss, so honestly too, just make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. 


The new characters introduced were brilliant. I fell in love with Finnick straight away. He appeared to be arrogant from the moment Katniss met him, but he slowly revealed his insecurities and weaknesses and I loved him for it. And I have to mention Haymitch - a lot more was revealed about his past and why he is the way he is. I think he became even more relatable and I started to understand his actions in this book - I actually thought Katniss is a lot like him in quite a few ways.

 

This book is just packed with suspense. When I got towards the last quarter I just gave up and stayed up into the early hours of the morning to finish it, I just couldn't resist - I tried to fall asleep and it was just calling to me...

 

Overall this was a fantastic book full of action and surprises that will get you on the edge of your seat biting your nails. I need to go and find out what happens now.

 

My rating: 10/10 

 

Suzanne Collins:

Goodreads | Website 

 

The Hunger Games:

  1. The Hunger Games
  2. Catching Fire
  3. Mockingjay

1 comment:

The Insouciant Sophisticate said...

I remember reading The Hunger Games and begging my mom to pick up Catching Fire for me while I was at work because I had to know what happened next. The nice thing for you is that since you waited for all to be released, you don't have to wait for Mockingjay to be released.