Sunday 14 July 2013

Review: Kiss of Steel by Bec McMaster

15999312

Title: Kiss of Steel

Author: Bec McMaster

Series: London Steampunk #1

Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca

Publication date: 09/04/2012

Format: Kindle

Genre: Steampunk | Paranormal Romance

Goodreads


 

When Nowhere is Safe

Most people avoid the dreaded Whitechapel district. For Honoria Todd, it's the last safe haven. But at what price?

Blade is known as the master of the rookeries—no one dares cross him. It's been said he faced down the Echelon's army single–handedly, that ever since being infected by the blood–craving he's been quicker, stronger, and almost immortal.

When Honoria shows up at his door, his tenuous control comes close to snapping. She's so...innocent. He doesn't see her backbone of steel—or that she could be the very salvation he's been seeking.



My thoughts:


After reading Gail Carriger's books I wanted to get my hands on more Steampunk reads. This is the first one I've read since then and, though it was really different and not what I was expecting, I really enjoyed it.


This book really gets you concentrating at the start since McMaster has no problems throwing a reader straight into the deep end. I found it difficult to get used to the terms used at first as well as the different character's names but I soon got the hang of it. I loved that the author showed no fear with the world building and making it as complicated as she liked.


I warmed to all of the characters immediately. There was no question as to whether or not I would end up liking them just from the first few pages. I loved the way they interacted and how distinct all their personalities are. I'm so glad the next books focus on different characters - I'm looking forward to getting to know more about their backstory and get a better understanding of their actions. 


The plot was great too. It did get a little simple at times where I could predict what was going to happen, but for the most part I was surprised at the secrets revealed. There was plenty of action to keep me engaged and the added romance was definitely a bonus! 


Overall I thoroughly enjoyed this read and I'm definitely looking forward to reading the next books in the series. I would definitely recommend it to both fans of Paranormal Romances and Steampunk. 


My rating: 7/10


Bec McMaster:

Goodreads | Twitter | Website | Facebook

No comments: