Sunday 28 July 2013

Review: OCD Love Story by Corey Ann Haydu

16074490

Title: OCD Love Story

Author: Corey Ann Haydu

Publisher: Simon & Schuster

Publication date: July 2013

Format: ebook

Genre: YA | Contemporary

Goodreads



In this raw and relatable romance, Bea learns that some things just can’t be controlled.When Bea meets Beck, she knows instantly that he’s her kind of crazy. Sweet, strong, kinda-messed-up Beck understands her like no one else can. He makes her feel almost normal. He makes her feel like she could fall in love again.

But despite her feelings for Beck, Bea can’t stop thinking about someone else: a guy who is gorgeous and magnetic…and has no idea Bea even exists. But Bea knows a lot about him. She spends a lot of time watching him. She has a journal full of notes. Some might even say she’s obsessed.

Bea tells herself she’s got it all under control. But this isn’t a choice, it’s a compulsion. The truth is, she’s breaking down…and she might end up breaking her own heart.



My thoughts:


Well this was different to say the least.


I actually surprised myself in how much I enjoyed this read. The first thing any reader will notice is how uncomfortable a read like this can sometimes be. Any time an author uses some sort of issue with mental health as the main focus of a book, there's always a kind of knee jerk reaction of readers to avoid them in some respect. Like the story or the characters are more than likely not going to be understood if the reader isn't going through the same thing or has experienced something similar. Of course, I'm not talking about everybody, but there is an avoidance with books like this before a lot of people want to give it a chance.


With this one, I would understand people finding it a little too much with the main characters inner thoughts being so open and exposed. Bea has a reason for every compulsion she has and she makes it known - obviously, we don't agree with the reasons, but the fact that we read about Bea's reasons mean we can see OCD from a sufferers point of view. For me, that made this read incredibly compelling and not uncomfortable at all.


I enjoyed the plot of this book. It was engaging to read of the characters journey to getting better and the strength and self-discipline it required. Unlike the usual books I read with supernatural creatures falling in love and saving lives or whatever, this book means something. It is real life. It happens, whether it be in the same way or in a different manner.


Overall I enjoyed this read. I found it different and compelling with well-rounded, real and relatable characters. I would really recommend it.


My rating: 7/10



Corey Ann Haydu:

Goodreads | Website | Twitter | Facebook

2 comments:

The Insouciant Sophisticate said...

I loved how intense some of the scenes were-very uncomfortable but probably true to the experience of being around someone with full-fledged OCD.

Shannon Olivia said...

As soon as I saw this post I HAD to read it. The book cover looks lovely, and this is such a great review. Thank you for sharing it! :)

I'm new to blogging and would really appreciate if you could take a look at my post: http://storytellershannon.blogspot.co.uk/ xx