Wednesday 3 July 2013

Review: Two-Way Street by Lauren Barnholdt

1672727

Title: Two-Way Street

Author: Lauren Barnholdt

Publisher: Simon Pulse

Publication date: June 2007

Format: ebook

Genre: YA | Contemporary | Romance

Goodreads



There are two sides to every breakup.

This is Jordan and Courtney, totally in love. Sure, they were an unlikely high school couple. But they clicked; it worked. They're even going to the same college, and driving cross-country together for orientation.

Then Jordan dumps Courtney -- for a girl he met on the Internet.

It's too late to change plans, so the road trip is on. Courtney's heartbroken, but figures she can tough it out for a few days. La la la -- this is Courtney pretending not to care.

But in a strange twist, Jordan cares. A lot.

Turns out, he's got a secret or two that he's not telling Courtney. And it has everything to do with why they broke up, why they can't get back together, and how, in spite of it all, this couple is destined for each other.



My thoughts:


This is another read that I won't have much to say about since I pretty much found it average. There was a definite mix of things I liked and things I didn't like.


The characters are a great example of what I mean. I loved Jordan. I thought he was really open with his thoughts and feelings, especially when reading from his perspective. I liked how he changed when Courtney came into the picture and how he did his best with what he was given. He was a really relatable character that had both strengths and flaws. However, I had a hard time liking Courtney. Sometimes I felt like I didn't have enough time to and other times I thought she was just all over the place as a character - just when I thought I understood her personality to be a little, shall we say, quiet or a person who keeps to herself, she would do something completely the opposite and start screaming hysterically at someone for nothing especially. I just found it hard to relate to her at times.

 

The thing I really had a hard time with was the plot. The pace wasn't great. It started off really slow and started to speed up as I read on. Eventually it went too quickly for my taste, especially for this kind of book - when I finished the book I was really unhappy with the way things turned out. They didn't seem resolved at all and that really frustrated me.

 

Overall I thought it was okay. It was definitely a quick read and I don't regret picking it up but it's not one to go on my favourites list. Of course it's just my opinion so I would encourage you to give it a go if it sounds like your cup of tea. 

 

My rating: 5/10

 

Lauren Barnholdt:

Goodreads | Website 

No comments: