Sunday 11 August 2013

Review: Eye of the Tempest by Nicole Peeler

12024354

Title: Eye of the Tempest

Author: Nicole Peeler

Series: Jane True #4

Publisher: Orbit

Publication date: 06 Oct 2011

Format: Paperback | 352 pages

Genre: Urban Fantasy

Goodreads


 

Nothing says "home" like being attacked by humans with very large guns, as Jane and Anyan discover when they arrive in Rockabill. These are professionals, brought into kill, and they bring Anyan down before either Jane or the barghest can react. Seeing Anyan fall awakens a terrible power within Jane, and she nearly destroys herself taking out their attackers. 


Jane wakes, weeks later, to discover that she's not the only thing that's been stirring. Something underneath Rockabill is coming to life: something ancient, something powerful, and something that just might destroy the world. 


Jane and her friends must act, striking out on a quest that only Jane can finish. For whatever lurks beneath the Old Sow must be stopped...and Jane's just the halfling for the job.



My thoughts:


I adore the Jane True series. I just can't get enough.


What I love most about them is that they are chocked full of humour. I seriously feel there isn't enough humour in books and there can never be enough.

 

I thoroughly enjoyed reading the point of view of such a quirky character. Jane constantly makes me laugh, but she is also pretty vulnerable at times. She doubts herself and counts on people around her for some things. She really is starting to come into her own the further I get in the series though - she seems to be giving advice and orders more than taking it, at least more than she did in the first few books.

 

I thought the plot wasn't as good as the previous books. It felt a lot like the book was just filling in gaps in the bigger plot between books. It was definitely interesting and I loved the idea of it, but it wasn't as exciting that's all.

 

All of the characters were amazing. I loved getting to know Blondie better, she was a really mysterious, captivating character. Anyan was just beyond yummy and the rest of the supporting characters were really well written and well rounded.

 

Overall I really loved this read. I really recommend this whole series, especially to fans of urban fantasy, you really do need to pick these books up and give them a try.

 

My rating: 9/10

 

Nicole Peeler:

Goodreads | Website | Twitter | Facebook

 

Books in the series:

  1. Tempest Rising
  2. Tracking the Tempest
  3. Tempest's Legacy
  4. Eye of the Tempest
  5. Tempest's Fury
  6. Tempest Reborn

 

No comments: