Thursday 29 August 2013

Review: Noble Conflict by Malorie Blackman

18043732

Title: Noble Conflict

Author: Malorie Blackman

Publisher: Doubleday

Publication date: 6 Jun 2013

Format: Hardback | 374 pages

Genre: YA | Dystopian

Goodreads



Years after a violent war destroyed much of the world, Kaspar has grown up in a society based on peace and harmony. But beyond the city walls, a vicious band of rebels are plotting to tear this peace apart. It is up to the Guardians - an elite peacekeeping force - to protect the city, without ever resorting to the brutal methods of their enemy.

When Kaspar joins the Guardians, he has a chance encounter with a rebel - a beautiful girl named Rhea. Haunted from that moment on by strange visions and memories - memories that could only belong to Rhea - he realises he hasn't been told the truth about what the rebels really want, and what he's really fighting for.

 

 

My thoughts:


I'm a huge fan of Noughts & Crosses so when this book came out, I picked it up straight away. My immediate concern though, was that I would compare it to Noughts & Crosses and be disappointed because honestly that book was amazing.Although I did compare it to Malorie's previous books, this one really stood out on its own. It wasn't so different to any of the other books but it definitely came across in a different light.

 

What I didn't like about this read most of all was that it wasn't up to par with Malorie's previous books in terms of the shock factor. I loved, loved, loved the fact that Malorie never failed to make me gasp in shock. I never predicted what was going to happen and what did happen was always something that would have never crossed my mind. There wasn't any of that with this book. It wasn't as intense and when things eventually started to get going, I didn't really feel connected to the characters enough to really care either way. 

 

I also pretty much hated the ending. To me, it was one of those endings that feels completely unresolved in all aspects. I understand that it leaves a reader to use their imagination, but I don't feel that Malorie pulled it off in that regard. 

 

That being said, Noble Conflict still had a lot to offer. There was action right from the beginning so I had no problem turning the pages. The plot was captivating and I didn't see what was coming until it did.

 

Overall I found this read pretty much okay. It had its issues but it also had some gripping, tense moments that I enjoyed. 

 

My rating: 5/10

 

Malorie Blackman:

Goodreads | Website | Facebook | Twitter 

No comments: