Friday 17 January 2014

Review: The Gift by Alison Croggon

873613

Title: The Gift

Author: Alison Croggon

Series: The Books of Pellinor #1

Publisher: Walker Books

Publication date: May 3rd 2004

Format: Paperback | 512 pages

Genre: YA | Epic Fantasy

Goodreads



Maerad is a slave in a desperate and unforgiving settlement, taken there as a child when her family is destroyed in war. She is unaware that she possesses a powerful gift, a gift that marks her as a member of the School of Pellinor. It is only when she is discovered by Cadvan, one of the great Bards of Lirigon, that her true heritage and extraordinary destiny unfolds. Now she and her teacher, Cadvan, must survive a punishing and uncertain journey through a time and place where the dark forces they battle with stem from the deepest recesses of other-worldly terror.



My thoughts:


This is one of my favourite series - I finished it before I started blogging so I thought it would be a good idea to reread it and post some reviews up on the blog.


This book is one of the first books that got me really into reading. I picked it up from the library and decided, after finishing, that I needed a copy for myself, so I went out and bought the whole series. It's not just a book that I found to be a great read, but one that has sentimental value as well.


What is immediately apparent with this book is how original it is. It's like no fantasy I've ever read - there is mention of magic but without the usual wizards, witches, faeries e.t.c. This book is full of mystery and intrigue in more ways than one - the plot alone is enough to get you hooked, even though the book has a lot more to offer.


The characters are also some of my favourites. They all have such depth and mystery to them that you'll want to carry on reading just to find out more of their story. They all have their faults which they make apparent, but they also have obvious strength and endearing personalities. 


Overall this is a fantastic read that's part of an underrated series. I strongly recommend it.

 

My rating: 10/10

 

Alison Croggon:

Goodreads | Website | Twitter

 

The Books of Pellinor:

  1. The Gift
  2. The Riddle
  3. The Crow
  4. The Singing

No comments: