Thursday 23 January 2014

Review: Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews

38619

Title: Magic Bites

Author: Ilona Andrews

Series: Kate Daniels #1

Publisher: Orion

Publication date: April 1st 2007

Format: Paperback | 288 pages

Genre: Adult | Urban Fantasy

Goodreads



Atlanta would be a nice place to live, if it weren't for the magic…


When the magic is up, rogue mages cast their spells and monsters appear, while guns refuse to fire and cars fail to start. But then technology returns, and the magic recedes as unpredictably as it arose, leaving all kinds of paranormal problems in its wake.


Kate Daniels is a down-on-her-luck mercenary who makes her living cleaning up these magical problems. But when Kate's guardian is murdered, her quest for justice draws her into a power struggle between two strong factions within Atlanta's magic circles.

The Masters of the Dead, necromancers who can control vampires, and the Pack, a paramilitary clan of shapechangers, blame each other for a series of bizarre killings—and the death of Kate's guardian may be part of the same mystery. Pressured by both sides to find the killer, Kate realizes she's way out of her league—but she wouldn't have it any other way…



My thoughts:


I'm a big fan of this genre so of course that would mean I read a lot of it. It's started to take a lot more for me to fall in love with a series like this one, but I found myself impressed very quickly.


I felt a little out of my depth when I first started reading - the author didn't waste any time with introducing a load of characters and information about the world this book is set in. It didn't take long to get used to though and I steadily grew to love being able to figure out the ins and outs of this 'version' of Atlanta by myself. It made things a little more interesting.


What I loved most of all was the characters. Kate has a load of flaws - more than most protagonists - and she knows it, she doesn't cover them up. She also has her moments where her strength shines and that's where the read gets very exciting. I don't really know what to say about Curran. I actually didn't like him at first, I found him to be really brash and slightly too arrogant but he's really, really grown on me. I really enjoyed the way he and Kate interacted - it made me laugh at times, and at others I got incredibly excited to find out what was going to happen between them. Kate brought him back down to earth with how much she challenged him, so their relationship really worked. 


Overall I loved this book - it was full of action and suspense, but most of all, the romance was put aside for the most part so it wasn't the main focus of the story which was great. 


My rating: 8/10


Ilona Andrews:

Goodreads | Website | Facebook | Twitter

 

Kate Daniels:

  1. Magic Bites
  2. Magic Burns
  3. Magic Strikes
  4. Magic Bleeds
  5. Magic Slays
  6. Magic Rises

No comments: