Sunday 29 March 2015

Review: Exaltation by Jamie Magee

Cover62720 medium

Title: Exaltation

Author: Jamie Magee

Publisher: Alvashia 

Publication date: February 10th 2015

Format: Kindle | Netgalley 

Genre: YA | Paranormal 

Goodreads



Fate is a twisted b*$#@, at least his was.

Was one soul worth the lives of millions? The quandary was one that Rydell King had no choice but to face. No matter the answer, the truth remained—innocence was created to destroy him. She was beautiful…extinguishing her to save his people seemed impossible, and maybe it was. As an immortal, his focus was to destroy the curse upon his people, as he devoured the emotion that bore him—exaltation, no matter the cost. She made him question everything. 

Mercy had never been crueler.

 

 

My thoughts:


Well safe to say I'm really annoyed with myself. I think it would have helped greatly if I'd have read other books by this author to better understand what on earth was going on. Talk about being thrown in the deep end. As it was, I had no clue that this was part of a series, even if it could technically be read as a standalone.


I've never been so confused reading a book. There was so much going on already that I had a hard time grasping all the terms and names of places that were being thrown around. I did start to get the hang of it towards the end but for most of the read I was drawing a blank on a lot of technicalities of the plot.


I have to say though, for the most part, I was pleasantly surprised with this read. Forgetting the fact that I knew nothing about what was going on and it took so much time to get used to the world that this book is set in, I couldn't read it fast enough.


Rydell, I found, was a pretty complicated character and I liked that. He has a past and it comes through occasionally even though he's not aware of it. Others see it though and it makes for some pretty interesting interactions. I thought he worked really well with Raven - his seriousness and experience with her fun loving, quirky personality. They balanced each other out, which, from what I understand so far, is essential to the story.

 

What really blew it for me though, was the hint of a love triangle. I hate love triangles. They just don't work 99% of the time, either because there's too much of a clear choice or the author cops out and kills one of them off or something. I can't stand them. Seeing as I've had a whole book full of Rydell and no one else, I don't like the idea of someone else coming into the picture - I already don't like him. How could I? He's interfering and ruining a good thing. I really hope that's not the case.

 

All in all I enjoyed this book. I would recommend it, but please don't do what I did and start out of nowhere. I wouldn't mind checking out the series from the beginning myself.

 

My rating: 7/10

 

Jamie Magee:

Goodreads | Website | Twitter

No comments: