Monday 13 April 2015

Review: The Truth About Jack by Jody Gehrman

25176780

Title: The Truth About Jack

Author: Jody Gehrman

Series: N/A

Publisher: Entangled: Crush

Publication date: April 14, 2015

Format: Kindle | Netgalley | 192 pages

Genre: YA | Contemporary Romance

Goodreads



Dakota McCloud has just been accepted into a prestigious art school. Soon she'll leave behind the artists' colony where she grew up―hippie dad, tofu since birth, yurt―and join her boyfriend and best friend on the East Coast. It was the plan…until Dakota finds out her boyfriend and best friend hooked up behind her back. 

Hurt and viciously betrayed, Dakota pours out her heart on a piece of paper, places it in a bottle, and hurls it into the ocean. But it doesn't quite go where she expects…

Jack Sauvage finds the bottle washed up on the shore and responds to Dakota's letter. Except what if his straight-laced life doesn’t jive with the free-spirited girl he’s only seen from afar? As Jack creates a persona he believes she’ll love, they slowly fall for each other with each new letter. Now Jack is trying to find a way to make this delicate, on-paper romance happen in real life…without revealing his deception.



My thoughts:


What a cute story!


I've fallen in love with Jack. It's official. Where can I get me one of those?


Seriously I thought this book was adorable on so many different levels. Dakota was a lovely character who was really relatable to readers her age or otherwise. She was struggling with what she wants to do with her life - does she really want to go straight to college or to get some travelling done? We've all been there in some way right? 


I loved how artistic Dakota and Jack were. They really complimented each other and it made their relationship so real and easy going. Nothing was forced so it was something any reader would root for in the end. I couldn't wait for them to get together.


What I loved more than anything though, was the idea that friendship comes first. I hate the idea of the 'friend-zone'. So many people talk about how at the root of every relationship is some kind of friendship. I mean who would hate the idea of loving your best friend? Jack and Dakota were friends first and in the best way possible. They shared a connection - they were both artists, Dakota with her sculptures and Jack with his gorgeous pianist fingers. They understood each other, and that's why they worked so much better than most YA couples.


The only problem I had with this read was that I wanted more. And I don't mean that in the good way. At times I thought the read was a little rushed and I wanted to get to know the characters a lot more than the read allowed for. I wanted a little more of a fight and a little more of a resolved ending where the past is mentioned and there's some kind of closure. Especially for Jack. Especially between Jack and Miles, that was intense.


All in all I really enjoyed this read. It's super quick and it'll leave you wanting more for sure. Go check it out.


My rating: 8/10


Jody Gehrman:

Goodreads | Website | Facebook

No comments: