Wednesday 10 June 2015

Review: Personal Demon by Kelley Armstrong


9968176

 

Title: Personal Demon

Author: Kelley Armstrong

Series: Women of the Otherworld #8

Publisher: Orbit

Publication date: 04 Aug 2011

Format: Paperback | 384 pages

Genre: Urban Fantasy 

Goodreads



Hope Adams inherited her Bollywood princess looks from her mother. From her demon father she inherited a hunger for chaos - and a talent for finding it.


When Hope is asked to infiltrate a violent gang of supernaturals in Miami, she can't resist the excitement. But trouble can be intoxicating, and soon she's in way too deep. With a killer stalking the city's mystical hot spots, Hope becomes dangerously entangled and has no choice but to turn to her werewolf ex-boyfriend for help.


What started as a simple investigation has spiralled into chaos. And Hope finds chaos irresistible…



My thoughts:


Personal Demon follows Hope Adams, a half demon with a hunger for chaos as she infiltrates a gang causing the Cortez Cabal trouble. Things soon get more complicated than spy work and random shoot outs when Karl Marsten enters the picture, a new addition to the werewolf pack and an expert in thievery. 


I have to say, I never started this series thinking I would get the chance to read a book partly based on Karl Marsten. I've grown to like him tremendously through this book, not just because he's a character that leaves me short of breath, but because he isn't afraid to tell Hope like it is. There's most definitely a thin line between right and wrong in this book, and Karl manages to dance over the boundaries without me thinking any less of him whatsoever.


The only grievance I had with this novel was that the plot was purely based around the Cabals. I loved the books in the series featuring Lucas and Paige where the Cabals come into play but Personal Demons seemed to have the Cortez Cabal as the centrepiece to the plot instead of the council like in previous books. I like the Cabals in small doses, but in this case I didn't enjoy the plot so much because of all the sneaking around that went on. 


What I did love about the Cortex Cabal playing a major part, was Benicio. I adored seeing Benicio in such a new light with what happened in this book. Benicio finally brings to light how much he loves Lucas in a way that's undeniable - it was a big change from his usual cold, businesslike demeanour. 


In short, I liked this book but not as much as past books in the series. I think my heart will always lie with Elena and the gang rather than the other supernaturals. Maybe because that's where it all started. 


My rating: 6/10

 

Kelley Armstrong:

Goodreads | Website | Twitter | Facebook

 

Women of the Otherworld:

  1. Bitten
  2. Stolen
  3. Dime Store Magic
  4. Industrial Magic
  5. Haunted
  6. Broken
  7. No Humans Involved
  8. Personal Demon
  9. Living with the Dead
  10. Frostbitten
  11. Waking the Witch
  12. Spell Bound
  13. Thirteen

No comments: